Well we got to Rounds 5 and 6 of the season,
and after about another 30 hrs work stripping it all back we finally got her running properly again. The weekend started very well, with the car loading flawlessly and road testing appeared to be very encouraging.
We had went up on the Friday to get set up and do the last bits of work to the car before being ready for the Saturday warm up.
Then it was Saturday, and we trundled out in the car – a few warm up laps just to get the feel of the new engine. The car was working very, very well, the rear felt a little loose but it was probably tyre pressures.
Then after completing my 3rd lap.
The gear box
was no longer engaging and a horrible, horrible noise was coming from the the back. I pulled over to the side of the track and jumped out, awaiting recovery. Once the car got back to the paddock, we stripped
the back end off to find a finger sized hole, and 100mm crack running down the gearbox – so that was the weekend over about 4 minutes after it started. On further stripping down, it appeared that a rivet in the brand new clutch failed.
Very very frustrating as despite having never driven the car with that engine, or ever having driven the reverse direction at Knockhill, I was running in 2nd place on the time sheets at the time of the failure – finishing the session in 3rd despite only really getting 1 lap at it. It is hard to take too much encouragement from events, but he car had the pace to do something this weekend. However, it wasn’t to be.
That is now 6 rounds complete and mechanical issues have seen me have 5x DNS next to my name is SLS.
Sunday was due to be my first outing of the season in the Rockstar Energy Chase Series, but the failure on the Saturday seen that put to bed before it even materialised.